Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Some bling,

First, I've setup a page for pictures of SR.  Hopefully I will continue to add as things happen.  For now you get to see up close one of the mast spreaders I had made up.  It replaced one made of oak, or so thought the shipwright.  The replacement is mango and has an interesting grain.  I will paint the top with UV paint and hopefully get more years out of it.  The rotting in the old spreader may have come from a hole in the middle of the spreader for the spreader light wires to run through.  The secret elixir for wood seems to be penetrating epoxy.  I double checked the holes for the bolts and rigging wire and they seem coated and sealed OK.  Hopefully I can do the other side this month.  The new spreader and bumpkin kinda hurt me this month.  Besides I'm only doing what I have to for now so I can pass safety inspection.

The mango is a two piece laminate hand shaped to match the original. Several coats of penetrating epoxy and the hardware salvaged from the original.

Bad shape - the wood felt like balsa and could be crushed with my fingers.  Seems the only thing holding it together was the paint.  The new piece has a fabulous grain!

No comments:

Post a Comment