Tuesday, May 24, 2011

First things first,

I guess I should say what this is all about, now that the hard part of organizing the layout and theme of this site is done.  Only took about 4 hours.
My plan for the moment is to do a step by step log of this kayak from purchase to taking her to sea.  She may look decent from 15 feet but up close it's another story.  She leaks some, dings and spiderweb shatters(fiberglass don't you know) and a most grungy sludge brown colored hull.  She is a two piece, top and bottom bonded at the rail design.  Along one side the bonding is seperating and would leak badly.  Also on either end the keel has shattered and leaks just sitting in the pool.  An attempt to seal the cracks was made by the previous owner but the simple caulking dried up and wasn't up to holding back the sea anymore.  So I'll be cutting out the caulking along the seam and reinforcing the bottom, patching cracks and holes and then rebonding the top and bottom halves with 3M 5200.  I plan to sand off the whole bottom gelcoat to bare fiberglass and re-gel in white.  The top I'll just clean up and gelcoat a bright yellow or orange.  Blue is my favorite color but not on a blue ocean where I may want to be very visible at times.  BTW, I've been on the hunt for a kayak for quite a while.  I've had paddles since last year, and an ankle tether like those used on bodyboards.

No comments:

Post a Comment